Sunday, April 22, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Ubuntu is Yummy

In the past the Firefox browser was accused of having a pretty bad
memory leak... and I believe Firefox uses up quite a bit of memory
regardless of what OS it is running on. Of course I justify the use of
such an app with the features Firefox offers as well as what it stands for.
Jeff
PS: is it Hasenfroch or Hasefroch?

Simón Ruiz wrote:
> I just tried it for the first time myself, definitely a thumbs up. And
> since I have an Intel graphics card on the laptop I tried it on,
> Compiz worked right out of the box (I had to do something like go to
> Preferences -> Desktop Effects). All it had was wobbly windows and the
> cube, but still nifty to have it right out of the box. Resolution I
> had to fix by installing 915resolution and Ctrl-Alt-Backspacing, but
> I've gotten used to doing that on widescreen laptops already.
>
> The only thing that bugs me about it (and not just Feisty, but Linux
> Desktops in general) is how possibly the most used application on the
> computer (at least for Desktop computers) is the buggiest. Firefox is
> single buggiest piece of software on that computer. I was using a
> school laptop at home for a while and Firefox would regularly have a
> conniption and slow my whole system to a crawl; I could often
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a command prompt and killall firefox-bin, though even
> that took forever, but sometimes I had to simply force shutdown by
> holding in the power button. And just now when I was playing with
> Feisty Firefox did some weird stuff when I maximized it while using
> Compiz, so I had to restart it.
>
> This is simply unacceptable.
>
> Now, granted, I seemed to experience this more than my fiancee did for
> example. I'm guessing it may be exacerbated by the fact that I use the
> same profile directory on Ubuntu as I use on Hasenfroch (I use
> PortableApps on a USB stick on Windows and link the
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/jumble.default directory to my FirefoxPortable's
> data/profile directory).
>
> However, it runs smooth as silk on Hasenfroch.
>
> Well, enough of that rant...
>
> BTW, I posted some photos from the IU LinuxFest on my blog (hosted on
> my flickr site), so check out http://indianalinux.blogspot.com if
> you're interested. (Jeremy, I put your biplane computer on there. btw,
> is it still alive?)
>
> On 4/20/07, Ben Shewmaker <benshewmaker@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Each Ubuntu release just keeps getting better. I'm loving 7.04 at the
>> moment. This has been the easiest install and setup I've ever had
>> with a
>> linux distro. Everything from installing video card drivers to flash
>> for
>> firefox to extra codecs is really, really easy. Getting a screen
>> resolution
>> beyond 1024x768 wasn't as extremely easy, but with a quick search in the
>> ubuntu forums I was at 1280x1024 quickly. So I like what I've seen
>> so far.
>> Anyone else have an opinion on Feisty?
>>
>> ben
>
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: