Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Re: [BLUG] considering a job in computers

David Ernst wrote:
>
> As for how to get into the biz, I agree with most of what others have
> said... Basically, follow you geek muse, and go get a job. Taking an
> hourly IU job will lead to something better for just about anyone who
> is good with computers, in my experience. Get something on your
> resume and get some real life experience, and soon you'll be pleased
> with your options. I bet. :)

Easier said than done. Then again, maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

I'm a middle aged working class hero that got "into" computers about ten
years ago. (I'd been using them in the workplace since the early
eighties, but considered them 'magic boxes'.) I'm totally self taught,
with no credentials and no tech-related work history.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty darn good at fixing borked Windows machines
(software or hardware), recovering data, building machines, etc.
Compared to you guys, I'm a hack. Compared to 98% of the public, I'm a
freaking wizard. I don't claim to know anything about enterprise
networking, but when it comes to desktops I'll toot my own horn pretty
loudly. Bring me a borked Windows desktop machine and I'll either fix
it, or I'll save your data and set it up like new. (Of course, the
exception is a physically failed hard drive.)

I have made inquiries with several outfits here in town (both personal
and via email) that do retail repairs to consumer machines. I've offered
to "apprentice" myself to them at either no charge or at minimum wage or
on piece rate or under any terms agreeable to them -- just to get my
foot in the door, establish my bona fides, and find out if I'm as good
as I think I am.

I can't even get a response. Not even a "Thanks, but no thanks."

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
Registered Linux User #415318


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: