Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Hardy Heron: the good?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:12:45PM -0400, Lord Drachenblut wrote:
> Don't forget that kubuntu 804 isn't a lts release

Where have you seen this? I've not heard about it.

I just poked my head at the site, and I see that on the CD image
download, it indicates Kubuntu 6.06 LTS, but doesn't list 8.04 LTS.
Without backup elsewhere on the site, I'm partially inclined to suspect
over-sight.

I was well aware that if you want the extra long support, that only
applies to Ubuntu Server Edition (no GUI crap). However for support
between LTS releases, I've been under the impression that Kubuntu
Desktop was just as supported as Ubuntu Desktop...

Personally, though, most of my core components are contained within the
Server Edition. With the underlying support, and the knowledge that I
can still go from an LTS core to the next LTS core release (even if I
stop getting GUI-based security updates) it isn't all that different
than if I were just using a lot of Universe software.

That is, even if they stopped having official KDE LTS releases, I'd
still prefer KDE to GCRAP (pronounced Guh-Crap).

Then again, I absolutely *hate* Evolution, and that SOB is hard to get
rid of without just dumping GNOME.

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: