Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Party Hardy!

Speaking of KDE4 features similar to those of a Mac...

They have all the fancy Accessibility features of Mac OS X now. This
includes having the entire display zoom in and out. (I first saw this
feature being used on a Mac by a man blind enough he used a white cane.)

This makes a huge difference for those with eyesight problems,
especially compared to the crappy magnifier tool that Windows users
are still stuck with. Once KDE4 is ready, I'm fairly certain a niece
of mine will introduce it to her father. She gets annoyed with the low
resolution he uses on his large monitor.

Re: dolphin. Even with KDE3 it was possible to configure Dolphin to
launch every time you opened a folder. At worst, if you want to dump it
you can always purge the package.

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:09:33PM -0700, adam wrote:
>
> I've been using Hardy [remix] w/KDE4 for roughly a
> month now and I have to say I approve of the
> architectural changes. Without getting out of my
> depth, it even feels better engineered.
> That said, the interface is pretty bad right now.
> Most of the functions I've come to believe are
> synonymous with Kde are missing or are severely
> limited. With each patch, more things have been
> implemented and I expect the trend will continue, but
> be wary.
> Also, my personal favorite, and the on feature
> that kept me using the Mac OS for so long is the
> Finder "column view" which dolphin now has (oh yeah
> they use dolphin now instead of konqueror :/). It's
> almost as functional as the OsX finder.
>
>
>
> --- Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
> > I've been using the Hardy beta on a laptop for a
> > couple weeks now. I
>
> > kubuntu-kde4: In the universe repository there's a
> > version of Kubuntu
> > using the beta of KDE4. (I think there will be
> > Kubuntu-KDE4 ISOs, too.)
> > The KDE fans should check it out if they've not
> > looked at what is in
> > store for KDE4. It definitely looks interesting. I
> > must also warn,
> > though, that though it looks neat, KDE4 is still in
> > beta. Some things
> > have not been ported to KDE4 (the Kubuntu-KDE4
> > package includes the KDE3
> > packages in those cases), and I've seen some
> > stability problems with it
> > (not surprising this early).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steven Black
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________________________
> Be a better friend, newshound, and
> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: