Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Asterisk/VoIP presentation

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Mark Krenz wrote:

> But I think you mean making a SIP connection from another city to your
> asterisk server and then to eliminate the toll there. Both are possible
> and I'll explain how all that works at the presentation.

yes and also calling locally to initiate an SIP call

>> lots of people have cellphones but for some reason or another are required
>> to have a land line, which then goes unused.
>
> I'm curious about this. Why would you need to have a landline? Do
> certain businesses require it now or something? Back in 1999, I moved
> into an apartment and tried going without a landline and just using my
> cellphone and wireless internet. I don't remember running into any
> trouble like needing a landline.

For me personally (although I dont have a cellphone either) SBC requires
you to have plain telephone service in order to provide DSL service, and
it's been working well so I dont want to switch to cable. Some other
reasons I've seen: home security systems that use a modem, and the fact
that cellphones are not reliable in an emergency.


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: