Thursday, July 3, 2008

Re: [BLUG] scp -p preserving ownership through root user

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Shing-Shong Shei wrote:

> It doesn't look like you were using tar??? If you use tar, you
> should have only one file and you don't need 'scp -r'; e.g.,
[...]
> Am I missing something?

Well, I left out two things, anyway. I always do the full
nine yards of scp -- with -r, and both IPs, full paths, the works
-- just because that's the only I have a better than even chance
of getting it right and making it do what I mean it to. Also, for
the record, I usually did all of /home, as root (in order to get
things like root's .bash_history); so of course I also had to do
a chown at the other end.

But the relevant point to what I was answering is only
that tar does not follow symlinks by default; if you want it to
track them down and include them, you have to tell it to.
Otherwise, using it for the purpose I did, you gradually
accumulate obscure but irritating failures of exactly the kind of
things I was trying to preserve.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8, Epiphany 2, Firefox 2 & 3, Galeon 2, Opera 9
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: