Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Re: [BLUG] New OS

Did someone say "Nexuiz?" :)

Simón Ruiz wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Shei, Shing-Shong <shei@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>> I am afraid that this is not a correct assumption. Different OSes has
>> different way of allocating/using memory. Probably it's just lucky that
>> Ubuntu had not touched the bad memory block. --SS
>>
>
> I most certainly concede "perhaps", as I definitely don't know what
> I'm talking about with any certainty.
>
> I find "probably" too strong a word, though.
>
> You see, I'm a memory hog and find myself regularly forcing Ubuntu to
> swap if I'm in a system with less than 2GB of memory.
>
> I played memory-intense 3-D games (Nexuiz, anyone?) and routinely ran
> the GIMP on many large photos at once, while keeping Firefox open with
> my customary zillion tabs.
>
> If Ubuntu didn't touch the bad memory blocks, I find design more
> probable than luck.
>
> Though I do concede that I don't really know what I'm talking about.
>
> Simón
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: