Monday, April 20, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Re: Games played

Steven Black wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:24:06AM -0400, Barry Schatz wrote:
>
>> Saurbraten, Warzone 2100, Teeworlds, and BZFlag.
>>
>
> Barry was wiping the floor with folks in most of the games, too.
>
>
SHHHH!!! I don't want to scare away potential cannon fodder! I mean,
um... beginner's luck! Totally beginner's luck! A random fluke, even!

And I wouldn't have stomped you so badly if you had just accepted an
alliance. >:)
>> The first is your stadard FPS, the second is a very involved RTS,
>> the third is a very cute 2D multiplayer brawler, and the last is the
>> classic tank battle game. All of these are on the liveDVD
>>
>
> The Live DVD really made it nice. In addition to the 'all the games are
> the same version, so there's no chance of compatibility issue' aspect,
> there was also the 'WTF? I think it just killed the machine. But, it is
> just a DVD, so a quick reset will damage nothing.'
>
> Linux is nice and stable. I'm not saying otherwise. But any full-screen
> games that grabs all the input can sometimes leave you high and dry.
>
>
>> I'd like to get some of the RTS folk together for another round of Warzone.
>> I'm not an RTS guy normally, but that game is really fun! It's also in the
>> Debian repos and has a single player campaign.
>>
>
> It may be the incentive I needed to send my laptop out for repairs. It
> will work on this computer, but I can't play it for long due to the
> heat issue.
>
> I've enjoyed playing StarCraft in the past, and was definitely familiar
> with that sort of RTS. (Actually, I think of the genre, I've *only* ever
> played StarCraft.)
>
> For those unfamiliar with Warzone 2100 here's how it varies from some
> other RTS games you may be familiar with:
>
> * It uses 3D, the game play doesn't appear to lean on it too heavily, but
> it allows you to do things like zoom in and out, and rotate the map as
> you wish for a better view. (When you win there are fireworks.)
> * There is only one kind of resource.
> * There is not a fixed type of unit: Most of the units are designed before
> they are built. This includes body type, wheels and guns (or tools).
> * There is only a single race. (The fact that there is only one race is
> totally moot when you can build totally different types of units.)
>
>
The 3D feels a bit like Warcraft 3. The gameplay and maps remind me of
Command and Conquer. The unit design dynamic reminded me of Mech
Commander. There's some StarCraft and Ground Control in there, but I'm
not sure where. The tech tree is much, much richer, so you can't just
turtle yourself for hours and win with a carrier rush. Designing your
own units is a critical part of the game and makes it possible for two
players of the same "race" to have very different armies.

Maybe next time we can get a round of Wesnoth going. I've never played
before, but I hear good things.

-Barry
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: