Monday, July 13, 2009

[BLUG] Large RAID config suggestions?

Hi all,

I have a 24 x 1 TB RAID array (Sun J4400) that is calling out to be initialized and I'm going round
and round on possible configurations. The system attached to this RAID is a RHEL 5.3 box w/
hardware RAID controller. The disk space will be used for NFS and a database server with a slight
emphasis given to reliability over performance. We will be using LVM on top of the RAID as well.

Here are 2 initial configuration ideas:

* RAID 50 (4x RAID 5 sets of 6 drives)
* RAID 60 (3x RAID 6 sets of 8 drives)

I'm leaning towards the RAID 60 setup because I'm concerned about the time required to rebuild a
RAID 5 set with 6x 1 TB disks. Having the cushion of one more disk failure per set seems the better
route to go. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say especially if I've overlooked other
possibilities.

I'm off to start simulating failures and benchmarking various configurations.

Cheers,
Josh

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: