Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Large RAID config suggestions?

Ah, excellent. I hadn't thought of this but it makes perfect sense. I do have all the drives plus
6 spares. The drives came in 5 boxes of 6 and I naively set aside one box for spares. I've now
gone through and swapped out all the disks so that I have 6 spares manufactured on different dates.

The drives are from Sun but they are re-branded Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1 TB drives that have been
modified to fit the J4400 enclosure. We shall see how these drives perform. Given Seagate's
history the failure rate might be slightly higher than your estimate. Thankfully these drives have
the patched firmware that addresses a slew of problems that plagued them when they were first
introduced in 2007.

Josh

Mark Krenz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:50:46PM GMT, Steven Black [blacks@indiana.edu] said the following:
>> It was an otherwise trustworthy drive manufacturer, too. (I think
>> Seagate.) Everybody has a bad batch now and then, and these just managed
>> to slip past through.
>>
>
> Steven brings up a good point here. Some adminsitrators go so far as
> to buy each of their drives from different places so as to try to get
> different lot numbers. The theory is that drives in the same lot can go
> bad at the same time (which indeed I've seen happen).
>
> I recently bought 4 drives for a raid 5 array and bought 2 drives from
> NewEgg, 1 from CDW and 1 from somewhere else. But with my luck with
> hard drives, the 2 that came from Newegg where in different lot numbers,
> but the 1 from CDW and from another company had the same manufacture
> date.
>
> I can't remember where, but I saw someplace that would sell you X
> number of drives and make sure they were all in different lot numbers.
>
> Of course, you already bought the drives, right? What brand are they?
> Do they come from Sun when you buy the array? With 24 drives, you can
> count on a few breaking within the first couple months and also several
> breaking around 4-5 years.
>
> Mark
>
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: