Friday, July 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] To all 'screen' lovers

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Kevin Ratcliff wrote:

> I learned something new (to me) about screen recently. Maybe
> everyone but me already knew this, but you can connect to a
> serial port with it:
>
> stty 9600
> screen /dev/ttyS0
>
> Handy when you need to connect to a switch or router or
> something in a pinch and don't have a system with minicom or
> equivalent.

That may be just what I need. wine-1.1.23-1.fc11.i586 can
now do almost everything with my legacy GPS/topo map suites
*except* the most important : actually swap data with my GPSs --
and sometimes it even does that.

The problem has long seemed to be that wine is pretty
buggy when it comes to serial ports, and my old cables have to
use one. (USB/serial adapters don't cut it.)

Wine 1.0, if not earlier, could install, launch, and run
at least two (fortunately, the two best imnsho) of my suites; but
the connection has long eluded it.

Anybody been playing with such, especially Garmin?
Methinks it and a laptop would be great to have, anywhere South
of Nashville and East of Bedford....

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --
supposing you care -- but you can tell who has a mind.
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: