Friday, November 13, 2009

Re: [BLUG] My Ubuntu/Linux bitch

I have to say grub errors taught me a lot in a very short time. This was
because I first tried Linux in college on my laptop (my only computer at
the time) and still needed Windows to do school work. When I couldn't
boot to Windows, I learned FAST.

That said, there are ways to recover from the grub prompt. Which grub
version (0.x aka "legacy" grub or 1.x aka grub2)? If you type help what
does it say? You can also boot with a liveCD (knoppix, SystemRescueCD,
etc.) and reinstall/update grub that way. I don't remember much else off
the top of my head, but there are many ways to get your system back.

-Barry

Kelly McEvilly wrote:
> happy? i did an update on my CentOS box today and now have a black screen with:
>
> GRUB>
>
> gonna have to google that one!
>
> ah, the adventures of noobiness...
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Barry Schatz" <sorbetninja@gmail.com>
> To: "Bloomington LINUX Users Group" <blug@cs.indiana.edu>
> Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 3:21:36 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] My Ubuntu/Linux bitch
>
> Joe Auty wrote:
>
>> I'm not here to ruffle feathers or troll or anything like that. I
>> realize that nobody is putting a gun to my head forcing me to upgrade,
>> and my machine isn't really that important so I don't mind the
>> adventures, up to a certain point. I'm sure that one could pick apart
>> each of these following points, suggest a fix, call me an idiot, more
>> things to try, blame something, whatever... I'm sure that many of these
>> arguments would be sane and reasonable to some extent. There is no
>> particular castle I want to storm, and I'm not advocating one OS over
>> another or trying to attack. With this disclaimer, read on... :)
>>
>>
> In other words "Incoming flamebait." No worries. My counter-flame
> follows. :)
>
>> I like Ubuntu, and I like Linux (especially on the server end of
>> things), but we are so incredibly far away from the "year of Linux on
>> the Desktop" it's sort of laughable.
>>
>>
> There will never be a "year of Linux on the
> {desktop,server,netbook,toaster,etc}." The process is way too gradual to
> fit in a year. Best-case is "decade of Linux on the $whatever". Even
> century is optimistic.
>
>> I realize that every OS has its strengths and weaknesses,
>>
> Stability would be Ubuntu's kryptonite in this case. It's the yellow to
> Ubuntu's Green Lantern.
>
>
>> Again, I know that my problems here are pretty vague and sketchy...
>>
>> My main point is more of a question. Why doesn't the Ubuntu team put a
>> hold on adding new features and just work their butts off getting the
>> mundane unsexy stuff to work, and in improving performance overall?
>>
>>
>>
> Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and
> nobody wants to do maintenance. -- Kurt Vonnegut
>
> New features are sexy. Fixing bugs means admitting you were wrong. To
> keep gaining mindshare, Ubuntu needs to keep adding the sexy and never
> look back. It's great that they've come this far, but I really don't
> like to get onboard with fast-growing projects because of situations
> like this.
>
> If you still want to use a bleeding-edge distro, I hear good things
> about Arch. That said, I've been a happy Debian user since 2004.
>
> -Barry
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: