Monday, December 28, 2009

Re: [BLUG] My KDExperience

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:07:07PM +0000, Mark Krenz wrote:
> - Places that can use some improvement or that I don't like. -
>
> 1. Some settings not organized well. Even though KDE has lots of
> configurability, its been a bit difficult to find some settings that
> seem like they should be easy to find. The interface for changing
> settings is inconsistent and I'm still not sure in what places I need to
> single click and what places I need to double click.

I'm not sure if this is related to the single/double click setting. I've
seen this before, and I suspect it is a matter of some applications not
acknowledging the single/double click setting.

> 2. Taskbar applications are shown for all desktops. In other words,
> instead of the application taskbar showing only the items for the
> current desktop, it shows it for all desktops. Maybe someone will be
> able to help me with this as I haven't found a solution for this yet.
> It seems like this would be an easy thing to set, but apparently its
> not. This probably falls under my #1 gripe as well.

This is set in the "Task Manager Settings." I find the easiest way to
get to this menu is to right-click in the task manager area before I've
opened any windows.

> 3. Lock desktop widget is too big. This is the OCD part of me, but the
> widget for locking the screen is made for a lock icon and a logout icon.
> I rarely logout of my desktop when I leave for the day, but there is a
> way to disable the displaying of the logout icon. But when you do that,
> the widget still takes up the same amount of space.

That seems like a bug in the widget. Note that this isn't trouble
resizing the widget, it is that the footprint remains the same size even
if you disable one of the icons.

> 4. Konsole doesn't have a setting in the GUI for terminal geometry and
> the --geometry option doesn't seem to work as advertised. This really
> annoys me because its 2009 and some of the most basic options for X
> windows are being ignored by people who should know better.

Hmm. Some simple testing indicates that options are not quite parsed as
I would expect. I think we may be seeing some sort of issue with single
launch vs. multiple launch. --profile isn't working as expected from
within an existing konsole.

#5 was removed? It wasn't listed.

> 6. Kmadness. Why does every application for KDE have to have to start
> with a K. I guess its kinda like how many x applications start with an x
> for x windows. While it might make it nice for discovering new commands
> by using tab completition, it gets mundane after a while. I feel like
> my desktop is a big pun.

I hear you. The GNOME folks have their 'G' in their names, the KDE folks
usually have a 'K' in their names. It appears right now the G in the
names of GNOME apps may not be quite as popular as the K in the KDE
names.

In my mind, this sort of naming scheme does nothing but provide a larger
name space for applications. It can be useful for that alone, but it is
not something actually useful for the end-user.

> 7. Fonts aren't as good. I thought this was more X specific, but I
> guess not. Some of the fonts that KDE uses by default are not as smooth
> or as readable as the ones I was using in Gnome. I realize that the
> fonts can be changed, but changing fonts is generally something I leave
> alone because you're never sure whether the font you choose is going to
> have all the charcters or cause other issues like overflowing the
> boundary area for the text.

Sounds like you need to tweak your font anti-aliasing.
In "System Settings" -> "Appearance" -> "Fonts" -> "Use anti-aliasing".

I use Kubuntu, and mine is set to "System settings". I'm not exactly
sure where these "system settings" are defined, though. (As far as I
know it is pulling system settings set when I configured things in
KDE3.)

I've never had issues with applications breaking when I changed the
system fonts. (I've changed it before.) KDE makes it easy to adjust all
the fonts together, which is handy.

> 8. Some weird issues with Konsole. Sometimes when I select text in
> Konsole, it doesn't render the whole window and it seems as if the
> window closed, but it just needs to be redrawn by moving it or switching
> desktops. This might be related to compositing.

I don't have that issue... but then I don't use compositing.

> Right now the desktop still feels a bit strange because I'm getting used
> to things like having to press Ctrl+shift+n for a new terminal tab
> instead of Ctrl+Shift+t. But those are minor things that will pass.
> We've definately come a long ways since the days of the FVWM window
> manager, which could do pretty much anything you wanted, but you had to
> modify a text file to do it and then reload FVWM.

You can easily tweak the keymap in konsole. It is handy to (for
instance) disable F1 for help if you find you accidentally press it when
reaching for ESC.

In fact, you can tweak the keys in pretty much any KDE application. I
recently wanted to disable Alt-Left-Arrow in Firefox and, to my dismay,
I found I couldn't change any of the key-mappings. I'm used to KDE
allowing me to get things to work the way I want.

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: