Monday, December 21, 2009

Re: [BLUG] power off CD?

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:27:21PM -0500, Steven Black wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:11:29AM -0500, David Ernst wrote:
>> So, we put the CD into the CD drive of my Ubuntu (Jaunty)
>> machine... it spins up, and ... my computer turns off. power off. As
>> if our power had gone out, but it hadn't.
>
>You should check the kernel logs. (/var/log/dmesg.*)

I thought the dmesg logs wrote only boot-up info..? I took a look and
didn't see anything, any clues on what you think I should be looking
for?

>Powering off is unusual. Now, kernel halting due to some hardware issue,
>that's a lot more common.

Agreed. But would the computer really turn off its power on a kernel
panic?

>I've seen low-level errors power off machines before. If you have logs
>available in your CMOS/BIOS settings that may shine some light on it.

next time I reboot, I'll try to take a look. :) I don't remember
ever seeing such a thing, though.

David
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: