Sunday, February 7, 2010

[BLUG] [Fwd]

Warren,


Did you send the following inquiry from an e-mail you used to subscribe to the list?  It got bounced.


Thanks,
Shing-Shong

=================
Hello,

 

I am new to the BLUG mailing list. 

 

I am in the process of having a desktop computer build from scratch - I want it to be compatible with Linux and so would like to speak with someone knowledgeable about hardware issues and Linux support. 

 

Mark Krenz recommend getting an Nvidia graphics card (ATI will work, but can be tricky – problems with ATI was also mentioned by another BLUG member).  Mark also said that Intel graphics chipsets suck in general and cause problems.  I have been looking at a Gigibyte mother board (GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX), but reviews on Newegg.com mention problems with memory slots (either the board was OK or some of the memory slots didn’t work – or failed within 6 months).  I have also read on the web that Asus mother boards do not play well with Linux.  I am currently searching the Linux forums for more information.  Do any of the BLUG have suggestions for a mother board that are reliable and compatible with Linux?

 

I agree with Mark Warner’s comment: most of “what you guys talk about here is waaay over my head 90% of the time.”  I am definitely a newbie.  So far I have loaded Ubuntu 9.10 as a dual boot with XP – but I haven’t worked out all of the hardware/driver problems (nor the LAN/firewall connections) – but still having fun.

 

Have you decided on your next meeting location/date/time?   

 

Thanks,

 

Warren Wilson

No comments: