Tuesday, March 9, 2010

[BLUG] Install Fest

Hi,
I was one of the two new users wanting to learn about linux. When
are we going to have this install fest? At the time I first wrote to
Mark Krenz about installing linux, I didn't even know what distro I
wanted. By now I know that I want to dual boot windows and kubuntu,
with adobe creative suite and scanner software on windows, and tex/cas
software on kubuntu. I even have some idea of what it will take to
set up the dual boot. Currently my partition structure is as follows:

49MB Dell Utility
11GB Recovery
67GB OS (Vista)
2.1GB Extended
- 2.1 GB Media Direct

I would like to repartition as follows:

49MB Dell Utility
26GB Vista
54.1GB Extended
-10GB /
-2GB swap
-40GB /home/
-2.1GB Media Direct

I have already been warned that Media Direct may not work after
repartitioning, but it is worth a try. Vista does not respond well to
resizing done outside of itself, and is unwilling to do it from within
(because the MTF file is placed at the end of the partition). So the
best approach seems to be to delete both the recovery and os
partitions, create a new primary partition for vista and expand the
extended partition into the remaining space, then install vista,
followed by Kubuntu, and all appropriate software. It also may be a
good idea to create an image of the whole hard drive before trying
this feat. I do have an external hard drive to work with so that is
perfectly reasonable.

Of course I'm not a huge fan of keeping vista on my computer, but I
need to be absolutely sure that my scanner and adobe software are
fully functional. I am not entirely convinced that open source
replacements will be sufficient. If I discover that they are, then I
can remove vista, otherwise I think it is safer to keep it around
rather than doing an adhoc fix with virtual box or wine.

Now I am willing to listen to suggestions, but if we don't have this
install fest soon, then chances are I will already have done all of
this.

Best wishes,

Erik
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: