Thursday, March 11, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Install Fest

Personally, I wouldn't recommend XP to anyone. It has security holes that Microsoft will never fix. It is obsolete. Windows 7 has the advantage over Vista in that most people find it runs faster, and it has the same system requirements as Vista.

But really, why fix what ain't broke? The system came with Vista, you don't particularly have problemas with it, so stick with it. It is enough to work getting things working in Linux, there's no reason to add fixing problems caused by switching Windows versions, too. You already know what to expect with Vista.

Also, Windows 7 can not do an in-place upgrade of XP. If you decide you want to go to a modern version of Windows, it will be a wipe and reinstall. Save the time, save the effort. Don't touch XP.

Just my two cents,
Steven

On Mar 11, 2010 9:34 AM, "Mark Warner" <markwarner1954@att.net> wrote:

If XP would be acceptable to you, then that would be fine as well. One
thing you should do ahead of time is plug the Dell Service Code into the
Dell website and make sure that there are no issues getting XP drivers
for your machine.

Another thought -- you might want to consider buying a replacement hard
drive. It looks like you have ~80G; you can get a lot bigger than that
for cheap anymore. You can then remove the existing drive and set it off
to the side. That's the most sure fire way to assure that you've got a
good image/backup/whatever.

If you want to carry this any further, it would probably be best to
contact me off-list:

markwarner1954 AT att DOT net



Erik Wallace wrote:
> Hi Mark
> Ok, well that sounds pretty close to what I had in mind. So far a...

> <mailto:markwarner1954@att.net>> wrote:
>
> If it were mine I'd backup/image/whatever, then b...

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.c...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.