Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Re: [BLUG] I don't think Linux will ever be ready for the Desktop

On 5 May 2010 19:50, Steven Black <yam655@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are correct. I was confusing the new Debian 2 year release cycle
> <http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090729> with KDE's new 6 month cycle.
>
> Though most Debian desktop users don't use the stable build -- at least not
> last I knew.

I have a good friend who runs Debian stable [on his Apple hardware,
incidentally] because of exactly the problems Joe has been talking
about.  I.e., he wants things to get better (read: more stable and
safer, not more "featureful") when he updates.  When he wants things
to become more featureful, he either compiles from source or waits for
a new release and dist-upgrades.  And for the most part he's happy
with it (as he puts it, he's trained his computer into not being
annoying, and the easiest way to do that was with linux), and makes
fun of me for running unstable :)

--
Jonathan

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: