Friday, June 18, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Looking for a netbook

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM, David Ernst <david.ernst@davidernst.net> wrote:
> ok, I left mine going on battery all monrning to see how it did.
> Kudos to gnome (or just the state of the art) it went just about 4.5
> hours.  Actually, I didn't let it go dead, but gnome was down to
> predicting only 10 minutes or so left, so I decided enough was
> enough.  I mean, I didn't want to have to REBOOT the thing!  :)
>
> the SDD versions of these things seem to be going out of favor with
> manufacturers.  Maybe the power efficiency gain isn't as much as I
> would think?  I don't know.  But I do know that when the battery icon
> turned red, the netbook had more time left to go than my ThinkPad does
> on a full charge.
>
> David

FWIW, the SSD is what *makes* it a netbook for me; the fact I can
throw it around with impunity, and not have to worry about it
overheating if I place it in a non-ventilated area.

A 9 inch "netbook" with a spinning hard drive is nothing but a tiny
laptop to me. Conversely, a 12 inch "laptop" with an SSD is just a big
netbook.

Maybe I'm just quirky, but I've noticed that's how I think about it. Weird, huh?

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: