Thursday, August 5, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Send me your /etc/crontab run-parts section

I have xubuntu,quimo2 and mint 8 & 9 if you want them. Just tell me where you want me to send them.

Jim Marple

> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:21:45 +0000
> From: mark@slugbug.org
> To: blug@cs.indiana.edu
> Subject: [BLUG] Send me your /etc/crontab run-parts section
>
>
> Hi. I know some of you are running some more unique distributions out
> there. I'm building a table of each distribution's default crontab
> section for running hourly, daily, weekly and monthly jobs from cron.
> Surprisingly, each distribution made their own choices when it comes to
> when to run jobs. You can help me by sending me (not to the list) the
> run-parts section of your /etc/crontab (or equivilent) and the name and
> version of the distribution its from.
>
> The part that I'm talking about looks like thsi (on Red Hat at least)
>
> # run-parts
> 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
> 22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
> 42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
>
>
> So far I have the following distributions:
>
> Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora - h01 d402 w422 m442
> Debian - h17 d625 w647 m652
> Ubuntu - h17 d625 w647 m652
> Gentoo - h00 d301 w415 m530 (Runs weeklies on Saturdays)
> Slackware - h47 d440 w430 m420
>
> The reason why I'm doing this is because when I have multiple virtual
> machines all on one host, I need to stager their default crontabs so
> that they don't all run at once, which can cripple the machine. Knowing
> about the different distros can help me plan accordingly.
>
> And yes I'll make this public. Thanks for your help.
>
>
> --
> Mark Krenz
> Bloomington Linux Users Group
> http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: