Thursday, April 21, 2011

Re: [BLUG] Simple wish list for Android

On Thursday 21 April 2011 10:59:30 AM Simón Ruiz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Williams, Jeffery Allen
>
> <jefjewil@indiana.edu> wrote:
> > There are a couple of applications that will setup a proxy server ASProxy
> > in the market and Transparent Proxy in other places. Unfortunately they
> > require root access on the phone. I'm not sure everyone is up to this.
> > I also vaguely remember this being brought up as part of a future
> > version of Android.
> >
> >
> >
> > Jeffery Williams
> >
> > Software Engineer
> >
> > ISAT Hall
>
> Yeah, that's been my experience.
>
> The free ones I've used either don't seem to work on the devices I
> tried them on, which makes me not too enthusiastic about them, or
> require root. And I can't expect all my users to have root, or to want
> to root their phones.
>
> I also don't want to point them to pay apps for simple functionality I
> used to think of as mostly universal.
>
> I mean, I can set up all kinds of other crappy little embedded systems
> to work right on our network, any PC you can throw at me, and most
> handheld devices (including iOS)...but not my Android phone or tablet.
>
> That just kind of hurts.
>
> Simón
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

this isn't actually android's fault to be honest. After a little digging
proxy is availble in most 3rd party roms it seems and even in aosp. This
seems to be a issue of the handset manufacters leaving out the functionality

--
Matthew Williams
President Indiana F/oss Society
Organizer of Indiana Linuxfest http://indianalinux.org

PGP e-mail is welcome! Get my 1024 bit signature key from:
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00D1EABB>

No comments: