Monday, July 18, 2011

[BLUG] How many of you run home servers?

I've been running a server on my home machine for some time now and
was just curious how many others out there do the same? And I'm also
wondering about security of my home machine. I'm running AjaxXplorer
on this machine to serve up some photos/videos from my home computer,
and, while it does us https, I wonder sometimes about how wise it in
terms of a security risk. I also use Dyndns so I don't have to worry
about my changing IP and wonder if having a domain redirect from a
dyndns hostname makes me more of a target? I like to imagine that
spyware and viruses on my windows machine are a much bigger threat
than someone trying to hack into my little ubuntu server machine, but
I thought I'd ask anyone out there if they have any opinions?

Thanks, and I hope everyone's A/C is working well both for your sanity
and any little home servers you may be running!

Ben
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: