Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Re: [BLUG] For Sale: Sun Blade 100

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 11:13 -0400, Scott Blaydes wrote:
> Sorry if I offend anyone by posting this here, but it is kinda Linux
> related...

I consider it more than "kind of" Linux-related. It does run Linux after
all.

Were it not for that fact that I need to get rid of a number of machines
myself, I'd take you up on the offer. I need a basement "room of
computers" before I do too much more collecting.

With regards to getting free, legal access to Solaris. It is actually a
relatively painless thing to get at this point. You need to register
with their site, as you need to do for any of their downloads. (It will
be a DVD iso image, so plan accordingly.)

Of course, if you just want to play around with Solaris to compare it to
Linux, you can do that with OpenSolaris on x86 hardware. (They will even
send you an "OpenSolaris Starter Kit" for free at your request. It is
x86-only. It comes on two DVDs.)

Solaris is really something completely different when compared to Linux.
It is sort of like looking at an organism that developed in near total
isolation, while having a common ancestor to something you are familiar
with. (Though, I'm sure some of the OpenSolaris distributions wouldn't
be like that at all.)

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: