Monday, June 11, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Gaming session tonight will be BZFlag

BZFlag requires hardware Open GL to be playable. They have specific
documentation stating that (1) the software GL is very slow, and (2)
they have no plans to ever speed it up.

Hardware Open GL is not available for any Vesa driver.

If your driver can use the open-source ATI driver, you should be able to
use Open GL.

If you need to use the close source fglrx driver, then IIRC, you will be
unable to use Open GL, and unable to play BZFlag without serious lag and
delay.

I checked the information on BZFlag fairly recently when I thought of
playing. Unfortunately, I don't have hardware Open GL in Linux either.
(I have a chipset which requires the fglrx driver.)

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 21:37 -0400, Gillis, Chad wrote:
> I stopped by but it's just as well that you guys weren't around since
> my tank might have looked a bit dorky. I got a warning: Your lag is
> too high (1125 ms). I've never used this computer for gaming before and
> don't have any experience setting up video so it's optimized. I don't
> think it's a hardware problem (128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1.8
> GHz dual core). I'm using vesa so maybe I need to install the
> proprietary driver fglrx instead? Or could the lag be caused by
> something else (besides the internet connection which is fine)?
>
> As stated in the wiki though, installation was a breeze. Without
> exaggeration it took about ten seconds.
>
> >> Mark Krenz wrote:
> >> > I couldn't get Armagetron's dedicated server to work, so we're going
> >> >to play BZFlag tonight instead.
> >> >
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: