Monday, August 20, 2007

Re: [BLUG] DVD player troubles

On 20/08/07, Evan Boggs <etboggs@indiana.edu> wrote:
> A few weeks ago I was having some problems playing DVDs with VLC (or
> mplayer, since they both use the same library). The error message I was
> getting pertained to the libdvdread library: 'libdvdread: Can't seek to
> block <block>'. Well, I upgraded my drive to the latest firmware
> version (having to boot into my Windows partition in the process), and
> for the two or three discs I have played since it worked fine... until
> today, when I got the same error message that I had before.
>
> 1.) Any ideas on what I can do to get this drive to work?
> 2.) If not, any recommendations on which brand of optical drive to buy?
> 3.) Are there any brands that don't need Windows to update the firmware?
>

Does the disc work fine on other computers, or under Windows? What
version of libdvdread? You can probably ask another Linux user to try
and play the DVD on their computer, too.

I used Lite-on the last time I made a purchase, and was quite happy
with it. Firmware should be no problem for using VLC or mplayer,
really, as long as you can get raw access to the disc (haven't heard
any instance of it not working in Linux, unlike in Mac OS X where
Apple controls the drivers)

Brands that don't need Windows .. hmm .. there might be some that
still use DOS-based firmware updaters, but probably rare by now. Make
a BartPE Windows live CD?

Regards,

--
Michel
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: