Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Re: [BLUG] OverLoad!

> I feel like someone who has a big secret and tells people that they
>have a big secret but that they can't tell anyone. Needless to say I
>can't tell you exactly, but it wasn't CPU bound, it was disk io waits.
>So not real load. The system was still pretty responsive. Its back

I've grown frustrated with load average because of things like this.
I've seen systems stop sending email and such because of some
side-process having to wait for disk IO or something, and then the
machine stops processing email because the load goes above 10 or
whatever, even though everything is running smoothly. After 35 odd
years of unix, you'd think they'd have some other means of gauging how
busy a system is. Do they?

>under control now. Great way to start the week though. And a good
>story for the next BLUG meeting. ;-)

Yeah, great story: "uh, I was doing something I can't talk about, and
it drove the load up real high!". :)

David
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: