Sunday, September 2, 2007

Re: [BLUG] VMWare Workstation and full virtualization

Ya know, I'm pretty surprised noone has made a cross-platform OpenGL
engine that reads the game files from the CD.

I mean, I don't know the nitty gritties, but the entire source code of
Civ IV is available, and most of it's Python and XML, and the core is
C++.

My guess is that it must be more difficult than I think to translate
from code written for DirectX to OpenGL.

Yeah, let me know how it works out for you, I wouldn't mind trading in
a Windows partition for a Windows VM if it can do decent DirectXing.

Incidentally, there's a way to drop Tango icons and a Human theme onto
Windows XP to make it look as Ubuntish as possible, if you have to use
it ;-).

Simón

On 9/2/07, Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> wrote:
> Civ IV is exactly the game I want to run. I'll let you know if I end up
> trying Wine or testing the experimental DirectX acceleration in VMWare
> Workstation.

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: