Thursday, October 11, 2007

Re: [BLUG] NOV meeting topic

> > Doable and done. Matt Liggett, a former sysadmin at Kiva and the guy
> > who wrote the original knowledge base at IU, was working on a program
> > for IU that would slave the idle time of desktops into one giant super
> > computer. I'm not sure how far he got with it, but I've heard of other
> > places doing this before.
>
> Is that the OpenMosix project?
>
> As I understood it, it only worked with specific software. You couldn't,
> say, offload any old video encoding or (place random mundane
> high-processor-time task here) job yet.

No it's not OpenMosix.. It may be condor (someone from my group will
chime in if I am wrong (At 1:30 I am sure I am wrong :) )) and it can
run video rendering. Sorta like Seti@home for clustering... I believe
it has been rewritten since Liggett was involved but the same purpose
exists.
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: