Monday, January 28, 2008

[BLUG] Ubuntu 7.10 as domU in Xen

[My apologies if everyone gets two copies of this...on the first send I used the
wrong email address and not the one I have subscribed to the list. Mr or Ms
Moderator, feel free to delete that one unsent if you'd like.]

And lo, another long-time lurker uncloaks in order to ask a question...

I've got Xen running on Dell server with RHEL5.1. I've got several
CentOS and Mandriva virtual machines running, so I know Xen itself is
working fine. For a client who has a preference for Ubuntu, I'm now
trying to create a virtual machine running 7.10 (since I'm not an
Ubuntu person I can't remember for sure, but I think that's a Gutsy
Gibbon). When I start up the VM for the install, it hangs at
"Loading...", and then dies on that third dot.

Is there some special trick to installing Ubuntu as a domU?

Oh, since this can be important to know, I probably should mention
that this server is not sitting on my desk. I do not have local
access to the hardware. Its some 600 miles away. Everything must be
done remotely, or else the first step for gaining local access is "buy
an airplane ticket". This is probably a good thing, since it keeps me
from attacking the server with a hammer ;-)

I've asked this in several Ubuntu specific forums. So before anyone
answers here, and pardon me for sounding like a flaming asshole, but
here are the questions I do NOT need answered that everyone in those
forums insisted on answering instead of dealing with my actual
question. I'm not trying to install Ubuntu as dom0. I'm not trying
to install RHEL5 as dom0 or domU. I'm not having a problem installing
Xen on RHEL5.1, I've already got it working. I know the difference
between para-virtualized and fully virtualized...my current VMs are
fully virtualized, and that's what I was going for with an Ubuntu VM.
I know my Ubuntu ISO is not corrupt. Again, I apologize for sounding
like an ass, but I don't need those questions answered or topics dealt
with.

And for lack of a better idea on how to refresh the memory of the one
person who has met me once in person, Mark, I'm the dude who bought
the CRT monitors from you a while back and met you in the Best Buy
parking lot in the black convertible.

David
davmoo@gibbousmoon.com

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: