Monday, January 28, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Ubuntu 7.10 as domU in Xen

My main use for Xen is to give a few clients who need it full and complete
control over their servers, but at the same time not enough control to actually
hose the server itself or have access to areas that aren't theirs. Putting them
each in a VM makes a very effective way to more fully utilize the actual
hardware (none of them use more than 5 or 10 percent of a server) and at the
same time safely limit them to their own sandbox.

Over the last 6 months I think I've played with most every Linux virtualization
package there is...VMware, VirtualBox, Xen, OpenVZ (Virtuozzo), etc. And with
the exception of Xen, they either didn't play nice with RHEL5 (VMware) or had
limitations that affected things I wanted to do (VirtualBox and OpenVZ). Only
Xen installed without a hitch and does everything I need, with the possible
exception of running Ubuntu as domU, but I consider that more of a Ubuntu fault
than a Xen fault.

I wanted to attend the meeting where (I think it was) you talked about
virtualization, but Tuesdays just never seem to work out good for me for a
meeting night. I had also wanted to make the recent event at your offices, but,
and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, I forgot about it until the next day
even though I had a PostIt note stuck to my computer about it. We'll consider
that a "senior moment". Oh well, I'll cross my fingers for February.

David

Quoting Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org>:

>
> Hey David,
>
> Are you trying to install Ubuntu as a dom0? Is your iso image perhaps
> corrupt? Hehe, just kidding. I know just how annoying it is when
> clueless people in forums and IRC channels ask those kinds of questions
> just to ask them. What's worse is that they make it look like your
> question has been answered when it really hasn't.
>
> Its interesting that this isn't working in full virtualization mode.
> I thought you could run unmodified OSes in full virt. I don't use full
> virt myself, but I've also had a problem getting para virt Ubuntu images
> to work. There is something about the kernel that Ubuntu uses that
> makes it different from other distributions. I've had the same problem
> with Fedora. From the research I did, I got the impression that there
> are people working on making Ubuntu more Xen friendly, so you might have
> to just wait until then. I know I probably will have to.
>
> Where is your Ubuntu domU failing? I think mine was having a kernel
> panic when it tried to mount the root filesystem read only on boot or
> somewhere around there. I'd have to load it up again to see.
>
> I'm actually happy to see someone else on the list using Xen in this
> way. I'll have someone to confer with.
>
> Mark


-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: