Wednesday, March 19, 2008

[BLUG] Program/Suite for passing jobs between machines?

I'm curious if anyone out there has something special that they use
for passing jobs between machines. Say if you want to run a program on
machine A to create a user and then it submits jobs on machine B, C and
D to create the user's mailbox, website, etc., which may be on different
machines.

Does anyone here do anything like that? I'd be very interested to
know so that I don't re-invent the wheel.

When I worked at Kiva, we had a great system written by Matt Liggett
called Mcfeely that was a job queuing system for passing jobs over ssh
tunnels. Then we had a set of perl modules called Kiva::User written by
Adrian Hosey and Chris Dent that allowed us to do sophisticated creation
and transform operations on users. It was really quite remarkable, but
now its a bit antiquated and unmaintained. When it was written (~1999)
we couldn't find anything that did the same and I've still never seen
anything like it. I've been needing to do this stuff on Suso for the
past few years, but Mcfeely no longer compiles under new gcc/glibc
versions. However, I'm not sure that Mcfeely is really needed. Jobs
could be passed directly over an ssh session or through a queuing
system, but its more up to the implementer. Kinda like whether you want
to run postfix or just SSMTP. They both still implement SMTP, but they
have different goals.

So I'm thinking of writing my own job submission/communication suite
that is not so much a set of programs as it would be a set of standards
for using an XML DTD to submit jobs information and guidelines for
security such as authenticating the sender, signing requests and
responses. After a trial phase I'm willing to release this stuff as
open source. I was thinking of calling it Newman (Mcfeely was named
after the famous mailman on Three's Company).

Anyone have any input?


--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: