Thursday, April 3, 2008

[BLUG] Hi Simón

Great to hear from you again. Thanks for the meeting
info on the FW-LUG, that sounds like a good approach.

Bob Piercy


--- blug-request@cs.indiana.edu wrote:

> Send BLUG mailing list submissions to
> blug@mailman.cs.indiana.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web,
> visit
>

http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body
> 'help' to
> blug-request@mailman.cs.indiana.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> blug-owner@mailman.cs.indiana.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it
> is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of BLUG digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: considering a job in computers (ben
> lipkowitz)
> 2. Re: considering a job in computers ( Sim?n
> Ruiz )
> 3. vim undo search (Deepan)
> 4. Re: vim undo search (Jeffrey Stuart May)
> 5. Re: vim undo search (Mark Krenz)
> 6. Flourish Conference this weekend in Chicago
> (Christopher Walker)
> 7. April Meeting 04-08-2008 (Dave Cooley)
> 8. Re: April Meeting 04-08-2008 (Walker W.
> Townsend)
> 9. Re: April Meeting 04-08-2008 ( Sim?n Ruiz )
>
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:31:21 +0000 (UTC)
> From: ben lipkowitz <fenn@sdf.lonestar.org>
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] considering a job in computers
> To: Bloomington LINUX Users Group
> <blug@cs.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID:
> <Pine.NEB.4.64.0803271629480.24278@sdf.lonestar.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
>
> "In short, synthetic serendipity doesn't just
> happen. You must create it."
>
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Simón Ruiz wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I got where I am by pursuing my own
> interests both on and off
> > the job, and by doing it in the open source
> community I left an open
> > "paper trail" (blogs, mailing lists, published
> stuff) that my current
> > employer was able to use to assess my aptitude in
> lieu of a
> > certification. (Though I'm now pursuing my LPI
> cert.)
> >
> > A year ago I was working as bottom-rung tech
> support at a high school,
> > but I'd gotten a chance to work with Linux and I
> loved that; it
> > scratched an intellectual itch I hadn't been able
> to scratch in a very
> > long time. I scratched and scratched that itch.
> >
> > Scratching that itch plugged me into all kinds of
> different
> > communities revolving around my interests and
> passions. The
> > announcement that this position was opening up
> landed in my Inbox, and
> > it practically had my name on it.
> >
> > The opportunity came to me, and I was ready to
> recognize it and take
> > it, because I'd pursued my own genuine interests.
> I'd woven a web (no
> > pun intended) and eventually something landed on
> it.
> >
> > I will gladly acknowledge that there was a heavy
> element of
> > chance/luck/synchronicity; I definitely feel
> blessed/lucky. I'm still
> > sort of in awe at how the stars aligned right when
> I was ready for
> > them to.
> >
> > I would be selling myself short, though, if I
> didn't acknowledge all
> > the work that I put in to be in the right place at
> the right time,
> > even though I wasn't doing that work with this
> outcome in mind. (I
> > don't think I would have put that much effort into
> it if I had been
> > doing it just to get a job, to be honest.)
> >
> > Simón
> >
> > P.S. I did have to be open to moving away from
> Bloomington—not
> > something I'd wanted, or have totally gotten over
> yet—to be open for
> > the opportunity I took. The Bloomington job market
> is pretty brutal.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > BLUG mailing list
> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> >
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:26:26 -0400
> From: " Sim?n Ruiz " <simon.a.ruiz@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] considering a job in computers
> To: "Bloomington LINUX Users Group"
> <blug@cs.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID:
>
>
<6535daca0803271026m449c47ddwc8e00dfef3dc387a@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Wow. What a story. I got goosebumps!
>
> Thanks for the "link" ;-)
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM, ben lipkowitz
> <fenn@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> > "In short, synthetic serendipity doesn't just
> happen. You must create it."
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 03:29:53 +0530
> From: Deepan <codeshepherd@gmail.com>
> Subject: [BLUG] vim undo search
> To: blug@cs.indiana.edu
> Message-ID:
>
<08af1c43a0309cc3823662a621cc3e94@localhost.localdomain>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi All,
> After we search for something in vim using
> /searchterm .. how does one undo the search
> highlighting. I don't want to set the
> hightlighting off. I just want to turn off the
> highlighting of current matches. I generally
> search for some garbage word which would return no
> matches to get around.
> Regards
> Deepan
> Sudoku Solver: http://www.sudoku-solver.net/

>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:59:55 -0400
> From: "Jeffrey Stuart May" <jeff.may@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] vim undo search
> To: Deepan <codeshepherd@gmail.com>, "Bloomington
> LINUX Users Group"
> <blug@cs.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID:
>
>
<c39c7a30803311559n23165336l4399b542a69aa5e4@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Use :noh
>
> And you might want to check out these links:
>
> http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=93
> http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=14
>
> -Jeff
>
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Deepan
> <codeshepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > After we search for something in vim using
> > /searchterm .. how does one undo the search
> > highlighting. I don't want to set the
> > hightlighting off. I just want to turn off the
> > highlighting of current matches. I generally
>
=== message truncated ===

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: