Sunday, July 13, 2008

Re: [BLUG] recommendations on a good digi cam

On Saturday 12 July 2008 11:50:57 pm Mark Krenz wrote:
> Well, I recommend a Canon Powershot too. That's three recommendations
> of the Canon from Linux users. ;-) I had a Powershot 110 that lasted
> me for 5 years or so and a now I have a Powershot SD700 IS. Both were
> great cameras and I tested several before buying. Sonys may look cool,
> but they don't make good still cameras IMHO. If you want a dedicated
> video camera, buy a Sony, if you want a good still camera that also
> takes videos, go with Canon.
>
> One word of warning though. If you like to take low light pictures,
> be careful and try to get samples of the output before buying any
> digital camera. In the last couple years, I've noticed that many
> cameras of various brands have started taking worse than ideal low light
> pictures. They end up very grainy. I'm the kind of person that doesn't
> like to use a flash because it gives the picture that plastic fake look
> to it.
>
> Also, it was a pleasant surprise to me that my 700 IS had the ability
> to do macro shots, which usually requires a special lens on SLR cameras.
> So if you want to ever take shots of something very small (like a penny
> or something), then you might look for that feature. It can be fun.
> Maybe all cameras have this nowadays (haven't looked recently), but it
> is was not a typical feature when I bought my last one.
>
> Also, if you like to show off your pictures, Canon cameras make nice
> presentation devices as they come standard with a cable too output to
> your TV. Also, I'd recommend getting a camera that has standard types
> of Memory. Don't get Sony memory sticks. If you happen to have a
> Nintendo Wii, it can take standard SD type memory and it has a really
> awesome picture presenter channel on the Wii itself that is almost worth
> the price of the Wii.
>
> As for Linux compatibity, I've never had any problems really because I
> don't attempt to hook the camera directly up to my computer, I usually
> just copy the files off the memory card itself.
>
> As for batteries. I never understand why people want to have AA
> batteries instead of the lithium recargeable. Sure, if you lose one it
> is expensive to replace, but just don't do that. I've never had one
> fail on me, but I guess that can happen. AA rechargeable batteries
> won't last as long as actual AA batteries. Especially the Energizer
> rechargeable ones. Those suck.
>
> Its really too bad that Robert's on Kirkwood went out of business.
> They had excellent prices and service. I bought all my cameras there.
> I don't know who to go to now that would actually know what they are
> talking about and not some Best Buy lacky. Any recommendations on that?
>
> Sorry this went so long. I guess you hit a chord in me.
>
> Mark
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 01:38:04AM GMT, Michael Schultheiss
[schultmc@cinlug.org] said the following:
> > Pawsitive Results wrote:
> > > I've been *really* happy with my Canon Powershot--mine's an older
> > > model, the A520. It was in the price range listed when I bought it,
> > > and I couldn't possibly be happier with it. Several agility/border
> > > collie friends have asked for my advice, and I've recommended the
> > > PowerShot--everyone has been pleased. Better-than-typical macro
> > > capability, decent at stopping action.
> >
> > I second the recommendation of Canon Powershots. They're powered by AA
> > batteries, which you can get anywhere. My wife and I had a bad
> > experience with a Sony camera with a proprietary battery pack so we've
> > used AA powered cameras ever since. Our latest camera was an A650is.
> > It was about $400 last year but a recent check shows it for $306.94.
> > _______________________________________________
> > BLUG mailing list
> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

One thing I want to toss in is that how linux friendly most camera's are
really don't matter as long as they have a memory card you can pull out and
and slap into a card reader.
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: