Friday, August 8, 2008

Re: [BLUG] ID theft via wardriving (URL)

Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> On 8/8/08 4:49 PM, "Barry Schatz" <sorbetninja@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> WPA (preferably WPA2) is the only reliable way to keep your network
>> secure. Hiding the SSID (the name of the network) and setting up MAC
>> address filters will keep people from using your network accidentally,
>> and WEP (the old encryption standard) will only block the people who
>> don't have the utility to crack it (takes <60 seconds to break WEP with
>> modern laptops). Lastly, use a strong passphrase for your network
>> encryption. https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm will give you a perfect
>> passphrase (especially if you use the random printable characters entry)
>> for your wireless network.
>>
>> This will keep your network plenty secured.
>>
>
> I'm still a big fan of requiring IPSec on the device, with the other
> endpoint being on the wired network (on another network segment), with the
> router in between being configured to only pass IPSec traffic.
>
> I wear a tin foil hat, though. =)
>
I tip my foil hat to you, sir. Then again, I don't know how to get my
n810 to do IPSec. I would love to centralize my logins and
authentication but I don't know where to start. Maybe you can show me at
the next meeting.
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: