Monday, September 22, 2008

Re: [BLUG] New OS

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> wrote:
> You may be surprised. Processors which were buggy and unreliable in
> Windows may actually function better in Linux. Linux checks for and
> works around a large number of processor bugs.

Not just processors.

I put together a computer out of some used parts about a year and a
half ago and installed Ubuntu on it. It ran sweet.

After a couple of weeks, I decided to go ahead and splurge on a
Windows-only game (Civilization IV; what can I say? I'm a Sid Meier
addict...) so I sat down to install Windows XP on the same machine.
The weirdest thing kept happening, though; it kept dying at random
points during the install.

Long story short, I finally ran a memory test (since Ubuntu ran
perfectly fine, I never thought the memory might be bad...) and found
out that one of the memory sticks was damaged which rendered XP
unusable, but it turns out the Linux kernel just noticed the potholes
and steered around them.

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: