Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Re: [BLUG] scheme programming

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 09:45 -0400, Steve Beckley wrote:
> I took that class last year. I didn't think it was very good. As far
> as I know Scheme is largely worthless. The only things I know of that
> it's used in is GIMP and a few programs that model evolution. You
> will never use it in another computer science class at IU, either.
> That said, it is a good language to learn on in that it is simple and
> is an excellent way to learn the fundamentals.
>

When I went through CS, it was used later: C311 in particular. A quick
check of the website shows that it still used there...so don't forget it
yet!

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Ben Shewmaker <ben@shewbox.org>
> wrote:
> I'm taking the intro to computer science course at IU and we
> are learning to program with Scheme. I have no experience in
> programming (well, if you don't count playing around with
> Basic in high school) and was wondering what languages anyone
> on this list starting learning on. I know it isn't the
> specific language you learn but the fundamentals that matter,
> but I'm also wondering if Scheme is used often in specific
> applications or where is it used in the wild?
>
> Oh, and another thing I've been thinking about on this class.
> There is a strict no sharing your code policy with anyone.
> Our first assignment is really basic so I can see where
> sharing something like
>
> ;least compares 2 numbers and prints the smallest
> (define least
> (lambda (x y)
> (min x y)))
>
> would make it easy to cheat. But as we will get more
> complicated I think that sharing code is a good way to learn
> how others solve the same problem. Maybe because I'm really
> into the open source community that I feel that a University
> would surely want to encourage a more open approach to coding?
> And we also use an implementation called Chez Scheme, which is
> proprietary. Aren't there some good open source
> implementations? What do you all think?
>
> Ben
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: