Wednesday, December 31, 2008

[BLUG] Looking to study further in computer science

Hi there,

I think many folks have made some very important comments, let me add just one more.

I would say that it depends on what kind of programming you would like to do. I am only going to comment on the ones I know. Others may be better.

If you would like to do some web programming, then I would suggest php/mysql since many service providers support it (including Mark's company Suso). It is easy to get something up and running quickly.

I am a web developer at IU, and we are Java/J2EE as Steven noted.

If you would like to do systems programming, then C. I also agree that it is good to learn C because it's syntax is the basis for so many languages. There are a number of GUI open source projects that use C++.

I certainly enjoy what I do, so if you end up staying with programming, I think you will enjoy it.

Bob

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: