Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Looking to study further in computer science

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM, David Ernst
<david.ernst@davidernst.net> wrote:
> Very quick replies to just the parts that seemed like they were
> expecting replies from me.

Ditto, and then some.

> Maybe I just don't know enough python people. :)

My boss is a pretty pythonic person.

Every once in a while he'll see something I'm doing, and point out
that there's a particular syntactic sugar to make that sort of thing
easier in Python, when I'm about ready to handle it.

Python's list comprehensions, for instance, are incredibly cool.

> Oh, I definitely discourage programming in English. :)

That sounds like an apt description of giving an assignment. Maybe I
don't have the right libraries or something, but it's really very
difficult to program a room full of high school students to do even
simple tasks.

> also occassionally I have reason to violate it. But more to the point
> it's like "Huh? Whitespace matters? How? How many whitespace rules
> are there? I don't want to learn whitespace rules. OH yeah, I don't
> have to because I don't use Python." Again, I'm not saying it's bad,
> and I'm sure if one day I actual have occassion to learn Python I'll
> end up saying "whatever, it's totally no big deal".

Not many, and they make sense.

More importantly, freedom from semi-colons and curly braces is totally worth it.

> David

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: