Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Looking to study further in computer science

Thanks for everybody who replied to my question, it was very interesting reading the discussion that followed.  Programming languages, much like Linux distributions, have their own strengths and weaknesses and also come with their evangelists and detractors, it would seem.  From what I've been reading here and elsewhere what language is used for any particular project can depend greatly on the problem to be had, the organization working on said problem and the preferences of the people working on the problem.  I also liked what Jeffery said about fundamentals of programming.  Perhaps it isn't that similar, but when I was studying electronic music at the University of Miami, their big thing was teaching the fundamentals of digital/analog audio.  How do different types of synthesis work?  What about MIDI?  What are the basics of DAWs and how can you move from something like Pro Tools to Digital Performer?  (and of course, many debates on why you just can't beat the sound of a true analog synth, like a Moog).  There are multitudes of digital audio software packages out there and if you understand the fundamentals you can move between them.  Sure, you'll have your favorite or maybe just one you've used so much that you can move around with ease, but if something new comes around that does something novel or useful, you can swtich over with a small learning curve. 

This leads me to another question:  What are some of your favorite resources for programming fundamentals?  Books, blogs, websites?  Or perhaps I can also ask what are important fundamental concepts I should grasp?  I am eager to start practicing in any number of different languages, but I really want to make sure I understand why things work the way they do.  I don't want to end up a mediocre programmer, slaving away in Java day after day building ucky software because I didn't build a solid base.

Thanks again!

Ben

No comments: