Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Looking to study further in computer science

For me it is books if I want to tackle a large topic like a new language or a framework. I
supplement heavily with blogs and websites.

For OO programming I would recommend any of Bruce Eckel's books (http://www.mindview.net/Books),
most of which are available for free or you can support his good work by buying them in bookstores.
Thinking in Java was an invaluable resource for me when I was learning both OO programming and
Java. He does a great job of explaining the fundamental concepts.

Josh


Ben Shewmaker wrote:
> Thanks for everybody who replied to my question, it was very interesting
> reading the discussion that followed. Programming languages, much like
> Linux distributions, have their own strengths and weaknesses and also
> come with their evangelists and detractors, it would seem. From what
> I've been reading here and elsewhere what language is used for any
> particular project can depend greatly on the problem to be had, the
> organization working on said problem and the preferences of the people
> working on the problem. I also liked what Jeffery said about
> fundamentals of programming. Perhaps it isn't that similar, but when I
> was studying electronic music at the University of Miami, their big
> thing was teaching the fundamentals of digital/analog audio. How do
> different types of synthesis work? What about MIDI? What are the
> basics of DAWs and how can you move from something like Pro Tools to
> Digital Performer? (and of course, many debates on why you just can't
> beat the sound of a true analog synth, like a Moog). There are
> multitudes of digital audio software packages out there and if you
> understand the fundamentals you can move between them. Sure, you'll
> have your favorite or maybe just one you've used so much that you can
> move around with ease, but if something new comes around that does
> something novel or useful, you can swtich over with a small learning
> curve.
>
> This leads me to another question: What are some of your favorite
> resources for programming fundamentals? Books, blogs, websites? Or
> perhaps I can also ask what are important fundamental concepts I should
> grasp? I am eager to start practicing in any number of different
> languages, but I really want to make sure I understand why things work
> the way they do. I don't want to end up a mediocre programmer, slaving
> away in Java day after day building ucky software because I didn't build
> a solid base.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Ben
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: