Monday, March 2, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Uptime wars

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:55:33PM +0000, Mark Krenz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:42:11PM GMT, Steven Black [blacks@indiana.edu] said the following:
> > blacks@bell:~$ uptime
> > 10:33am up 1088 days 12:52, 7 users, load average: 0.22, 0.34, 0.31
>
> Wow, that's only a week away from 3 years. I guess you win. There are
> some people online who report uptimes of 4-6 years though.

Yeah, I know in the grand scheme of things, I'm just a small fry.

I always heard rumors that it was the BSD folks that managed the truly
huge uptimes.

In Linux it is possible, but you need to be careful that you've compiled
your kernel to only use absolutely the features you need, and then you
need to monitor the kernel security issues. Then once the system has
been up a nice long while you have the added concern that if you do
encounter a security concern that effects you, the rest of the system is
then old enough that you need to either back-port security fixes to the
earlier kernel line, or you need to upgrade the whole OS.

Personally, I wish my uptime was smaller than this. I'm in the process
of migrating all my systems to Ubuntu LTS. I really like the prospect of
knowing exactly when the next release will be available. The short-term
releases can be used as early betas for the next LTS release, so you can
be aware of upcoming major issues with internal software well before
the OS is actually released. (Sometimes when software is being phased
out, or certain libraries are being updated it can cause quite a bit of
concern if you are not prepared.)

Cheers,
Steven Black

No comments: