Thursday, July 16, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Managing a server via serial port (anyone have a spare serial cable?)

PC Max sells them. If they, for some insane reason, are out, I have
one I can lend you. I've never used screen for that, but have had
success with minicom :)
--
Jordan Thevenow-Harrison
jtth@jtth.net

On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Barry Schatz wrote:

> I figured I should ask the list for some advice.
>
> A couple weeks ago a company next door to mine was moving, and giving
> away a lot of outdated computer equipment. I grabbed a 2U VA Linux
> server. After all, it's free (gratis) rackmount server and a piece of
> Linux history. However, I soon found out that there's no way I can
> actually get access to the darn thing. The BIOS is set to boot from
> the
> hard drive first, and the VGA hardware is turned off. My only hope is
> console access via the serial port.
>
> So here's the problem: I don't have a 9-pin serial cable. I don't know
> where I can get one short of ordering from Newegg or driving up to
> Fry's
> in Indy. I also don't know if I need a null modem to make the
> connection
> work. Do any of you on the list in the Bloomington area have such a
> cable?
>
> Also, I'm aware that I can use screen to interface with the serial
> port.
> If I recall, Kevin mentioned this bit of goodness:
> stty 9600
> screen /dev/ttyS0
>
> Any other bits of advice to help me root this box? I really just
> want to
> dban the drive and install a recent distro to make myself a
> fileserver.
>
> Oh and one more thing: the hard drive is Ultra2 SCSI LVD. I can't
> easily
> plug it into another machine to tamper with it.
>
> -Barry
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: