Thursday, July 16, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Managing a server via serial port (anyone have a spare serial cable?)

You might also try the IU surplus store. I finally went there a month
or so ago, and among the weird collection of stuff they have is a pile
of cables for (iirc) $1 each. Doesn't matter what the cable is, it's
the same price.

http://www.indiana.edu/~surplus/

I also might have such a cable if none of these other leads are making
it. But I'd rather not even dig through my cable box unless I know
that you'll need it. :)

david


On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:42:34AM -0400, Jordan Thevenow-Harrison wrote:
> PC Max sells them. If they, for some insane reason, are out, I have one I
> can lend you. I've never used screen for that, but have had success with
> minicom :)
> --
> Jordan Thevenow-Harrison
> jtth@jtth.net
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Barry Schatz wrote:
>
>> I figured I should ask the list for some advice.
>>
>> A couple weeks ago a company next door to mine was moving, and giving
>> away a lot of outdated computer equipment. I grabbed a 2U VA Linux
>> server. After all, it's free (gratis) rackmount server and a piece of
>> Linux history. However, I soon found out that there's no way I can
>> actually get access to the darn thing. The BIOS is set to boot from
>> the
>> hard drive first, and the VGA hardware is turned off. My only hope is
>> console access via the serial port.
>>
>> So here's the problem: I don't have a 9-pin serial cable. I don't know
>> where I can get one short of ordering from Newegg or driving up to
>> Fry's
>> in Indy. I also don't know if I need a null modem to make the
>> connection
>> work. Do any of you on the list in the Bloomington area have such a
>> cable?
>>
>> Also, I'm aware that I can use screen to interface with the serial
>> port.
>> If I recall, Kevin mentioned this bit of goodness:
>> stty 9600
>> screen /dev/ttyS0
>>
>> Any other bits of advice to help me root this box? I really just want
>> to
>> dban the drive and install a recent distro to make myself a
>> fileserver.
>>
>> Oh and one more thing: the hard drive is Ultra2 SCSI LVD. I can't
>> easily
>> plug it into another machine to tamper with it.
>>
>> -Barry
>> _______________________________________________
>> BLUG mailing list
>> BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: