Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Re: [BLUG] tracking downloads of a single file

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 10:46 -0400, Ben Shewmaker wrote:
> Two part question really:
>
> One, is there an easy way to track downloads of individual files on my
> website? I have a few files in particular I would like stats on, and
> I don't seem to have a way to do that at the moment. (I'm a bit
> clueless on this subject actually)
>

Sure, do this:

gunzip -fc <whatever your log file(s) are called> | grep "whatever the
filename you're tracking is" | wc -l


> Second, what stats program(s) do others on the list use? I like
> Google Analytics, but I'm curious if there are other notable programs
> that run locally vs. a tracking service in the cloud. Any good open
> source ones? I've been using Analog and Google so far. . .
>

We're using awstats here. In another job we used webalyzer. I like
webalyzer better. Of course, grep + wc is really handy for ad-hoc
stuff.

Brian

> Ben
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: