Thursday, October 22, 2009

Re: [BLUG] tftp server

You are aware that wanting to "leave it disabled when not in use" is the
canonical reason to start a service via inetd, right?

Personally, I'd go with inetd and a firewall rule to block it except
when I need it. That way if I forget to re-engage the firewall block,
whoops, it should still require specific MAC addresses, right? (IIRC,
this is how I've previously used the tftp service.)

Then again, I block any ports I'm not using, so the firewall rule would
be something I'd be doing even if I started the service from init.d.

I've used one of them before, but at this point I don't recall which one
it was, and I had a HD failure on the drive serving it. I do know it was
started via inetd. I didn't need it sitting around when I wasn't using
it. A little extra startup time (it was a slow machine) was fine to know
the process/memory overhead of running the service would be cleaned up
automatically when it wasn't needed.

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 09:56:34AM -0400, Barry Schatz wrote:
> I'm setting up a TFTP server and wanted to know which daemon you all
> recommend. My options are tftpd, tftpd-hpa, and atftpd.
> I don't need PXE support, but that might be nice in the future. I do
> need it to start via init scripts because I want to leave it disabled
> when not in use.
>
> -Barry
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: