Friday, November 6, 2009

Re: [BLUG] How do you listen to music?

We've had a 300 disc CD changer (pawn shop purchase, so it was fairly
cheap). We've not used it for a while, so we're re-pawning it in the
near future. It doesn't work the way we want to use it -- and the way we
want our music is best fulfilled via an electronic music source.

I've mostly stopped listening to music covered by the big RIAA players,
though my wife still buys random CDs now and then. (I'm not against
buying CDs from CDBaby, etc, but no big labels for me.) I listen to
a lot of podcasts, but when I listen to music it is typically a lot
of SongFight.org songs and various things covered by Creative Commons
licenses -- I like things I can redistribute freely and legally.

I've tried GNU MP3d, then Ampache, and now I lean heavily on SSHFS.

I use 'podget' for podcatching, so I have all my podcasts hosted on the
same hardware that hosts my other music. (I use a custom BASH script to
easily add feeds from within Firefox, etc.)

Ampache has album art and rating support, which I liked for a time.
However it believes that song titles are unique, which -- particularly
with SongFight -- is not the case. I got a patch for that, but I grew
unhappy with it when I found that the supported Ampache "solution" for
an issue with the PHP getid3 product (which resulted in numeric genre
IDs) was to retag all of the music. What really grated on me was that
within 15 minutes I found and solved the problem with a line or two of
code.

It was the first time I'd ever even looked at PHP code -- let alone
the first time I wrote any. The fact that the author was recommending
retagging collections of thousands of MP3s instead of <15 minutes of
work for someone totally unfamiliar with PHP boggled my mind. It did not
increase my fondless for the product. (The exact issue in question was
failure to deal with improperly terminated id3v2.4 genre tags.)

My big problem with Ampache was that the playlists it generated didn't
remain viable. After a period of time they time-out -- not when you're
playing them, but if you have a playlist you don't intend to finish in
one sitting it just didn't work. Since I frequently have a playlist I'm
working through over multiple days I've since whole-heartedly abandoned
Ampache.

The feeds generated by GNU MP3d didn't contain enough meta-data when
initially loaded in my music client (Amarok). It is annoying, and I've
not gotten around to extended GNU MP3d to support other playlists. (I'm
more likely to write my own tool, or extend something written in Python
to do what I want. All very low priority.) The most annoying thing is
that with GNU MP3d-based playlists it doesn't always allow me to skip
within the file -- you'd need to start a file over.

At this point I find I generally get the features I want faster and
easier with an SSHFS remote filesystem. All the tags show up properly, I
can delete podcasts when I'm done with them, the cover art gets mapped
properly on the folder-icons via my .directory files, etc. (Another
reason to use KDE: .directory files that allow for relative paths for
folder icons.) Everything just works, and it works quite well.

I do find that browsing with GNU MP3 works nicely, as the SSHFS file
browsing can be slowish, and I'm usually looking for directories with
"New" files (marked as such with GNU MP3d), or with a reasonable large
set of files to load up. (Typically a podiobook that I've not started.)

I don't currently listen to music on-the-go. I have in the past, but
I've another project taking my brain-time while I'm on the go.

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:24:59PM -0500, Barry Schatz wrote:
> Ben Shewmaker wrote:
> > Sitting here listening to some music this morning and got to
> > wondering, how do other people listen to music? All on the computer?
> > CD's? LP's? iPods? How does everybody else listen to music? Here's
> > how I do it:

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: