Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Re: [BLUG] new big computer for a lab

My experience with Dell has been the opposite. Yes, Dell does sometimes overcharge but it depends
entirely on what systems you are spec'ing, the entity doing the purchasing (company, university,
self, etc...), and any contracts your company or university already has with them. I just completed
a bid process a couple of weeks ago for a 12 TB 16 core server and Dell was very competitive with
Supermicro. I've heard the same thing about Dell's competitive pricing from colleagues at other
institutions as well. I'm not trying to push Dell over other options, but I think it is a mistake
to exclude them from the start.

In short, get lots of bids (including ones you think might be too expensive), look them all over,
and go with the best bang for your buck (euro).

Josh

On 05/18/2010 08:46 AM, Mark Krenz wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:24:30PM GMT, David Ernst [david.ernst@davidernst.net] said the following:
>>
>> At a former job, I once had the pleasure of being able to buy a server
>> from these folks:
>>
>> http://www.asaservers.com
>>
>> Very nice machine, at am impressive price. I didn't stay at the job
>
>
> Yes, those are decent prices for them putting it together for you.
> Definate a lot better than Dell. What ASA is doing here is taking
> Supermicro barebones servers (which is a brand I highly recommend) and
> helping you add in the parts to complete the whole server.
>
> At Suso I buy the parts seperately and put it together myself, which
> is cheaper, but requires that I do my research and make sure I have the
> right parts. So its time vs. money.
>
> But ASA seems to be much more competitive pricewise than other
> companies I've seen who do the same thing.
>
> I can't recommend enough to stay away from Dell. They have nice
> servers, but they grossly overcharge.
>
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: