Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Re: [BLUG] new big computer for a lab

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:
>  Here is an option for a server hard drive  from Dell's website just now:
>
>  1TB 7.2K RPM SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive [$449.00]
>
>  From Newegg:
>
>  Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Drive - $159.99
>
> So with 12 drives that's $3480 overpaid.
>
>
>
> --
> Mark Krenz
> Bloomington Linux Users Group
> http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

You hit the biggest problem/easiest fix on the nose.

We got a great deal from Dell on some file servers and RAID enclosures.

It was the end of the quarter, and the salesperson seemed to be
working towards a quota or something, because we got an awesome price
on the whole shebang.

When we went *back* (when the time pressure was off) to ask them for
an extra couple of SATA hard disks for it (we also needed these
caddies/sleds to slide the disks in right;they only give you exactly
enough, which I think is their form of "DRM" to get you to go buy
everything from them). They pointed to prices like those and I just
laughed. I pointed out that I could easily buy the equipment I wanted
from elsewhere for more than 75% off their price, and the salesperson
observed that such hard disks would not be covered by Dell tech
support.

I pointed out that I've never asked for tech support on "Dell hard
drives", and that if I bought twice the number of hard drives so I had
an entire set of drives on hand to swap out I'd still be paying less
than half what Dell wanted; that the economics of the situation
demanded Dell lower their price if they expected us to take them
seriously.

There was absolutely no reply to that, so I went on eBay for the right
caddies, and bought the SATA drives from NewEgg.

I've yet to regret it.

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: