Tuesday, July 27, 2010

[BLUG] some advice to get a new laptop?

Dear BLUGers,

My girlfriend is about to buy a new laptop, she asked me for some
advice, and I thought that I'd better ask you, guys. Her preferences are
the following:

- First of all, she wants the hardware to be good, so that it can last a
long time. Her previous laptop (a 3 years old Lenovo of some kind that I
don't remember) had problems all the time. It performed much better,
though, once she switched to Linux. Right now keys "T" and "Y" do not
work, no matter how strong you hit them.

- She'd like the laptop mostly to write, but also to run statistical
analysis with R, which may involve datasets of <= 2GB, and CPU-intensive
calculations. She wonders if 64 bit architectures are standard now in
laptops, or if they are worthy. Also, how many cores? I guess a dual
core is something good already, right?

- She doesn't need a lot of storage capacity.

In summary: she wants a robust laptop, whose processor she can feel
proud of, and in which she can run ubuntu. She uses skype with a webcam
often, and I know that not all webcams are automatically detected and
configured by ubuntu. Any ideas?

Other considerations: I think some of you work on (or know about) local
businesses with awesome technical services; feel free to tell me about
them. About the budget, I don't think she wants to spend more than 1000
$.

Thank you,

Ignasi.

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: