Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Re: [BLUG] Att dsl

On Monday 02 May 2011 2:59:54 PM Kelly McEvilly wrote:
> I like that idea. I had a h*ll of a time config'ing iptables on a dual
> ssid dd-wrt wrt54g and could really use the practice!
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mark Krenz" <mark@slugbug.org>
> To: "Bloomington LINUX Users Group" <blug@cs.indiana.edu>
> Sent: Monday, May 2, 2011 10:04:08 AM
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] Att dsl
>
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 11:32:44AM GMT, Kelly McEvilly [kellym@wbhcp.com]
said the following:
> > Sadly, I have the same crappy Westell modem from Smithville at home.
> > Soon, they are gonna cut a trench across my yard and run fiber to my
> > house and I'm hoping I'll get a serious upgrade in equipment from them
> > when that happens.
>
> Since this is the Linux Users Group, I would suggest that when you get
> fiber to the house that you change your router to a Linux router setup
> on a low end PC. You should still pick reliable parts, but you can find
> some old Pentium 3 or 4 for $50 that you could slap an extra network
> card in and be fine. It will be much more reliable and flexible. You
> can even use one of the free router/firewall distributions such as
> SmoothWall, pfSense, Endian, etc. There are a ton of them. The only
> thing is that it'd use more power than one of the home broadband
> routers.
>
> Smithville basically just gives you an ethernet jack hooked up to
> their fiber-ethernet adapter, which you don't have to mess with.


thanks for all the feedback guys.

I am currently running pfsense 2.0 rc1 and it is actually looking like the
reason I can't get bridge mode working on my router is a bug currently in
pfsense.

cheers
--
Matthew Williams
President Indiana F/oss Society
Organizer of Indiana Linuxfest http://indianalinux.org

PGP e-mail is welcome! Get my 1024 bit signature key from:
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00D1EABB>

No comments: